Once the Ernie Ball strings were being manufactured, it soon became apparent that Kramer and co. did not enjoy the idea that another company was creating strings for their client. In an odd stroke of fate as Kramer were in rapid decline financially, Eddie Van Halen and Ernie Ball fell out with Kramer due to accounting misconduct by Kramer. Allegedly Kramer and Ernie Ball did not see eye to eye on financial accounting issues and shortly after Eddie found out, ceased the working relationship that Eddie Van Halen once had with Kramer.

In the interim, Eddie Van Halen had come up with a design for a new guitar, possibly foreseeing the future. The guitar itself was further refined when Eddie Van Halen began working more closely with Ernie Ball Music Man. As a result, he had designed his first guitar, an important step in his musical journey.

You must be an Eddie Van Halen Community Member to view all content!

Courtesy of Chris Airey

• Like 7
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once the Ernie Ball strings were being manufactured, it soon became apparent that Kramer and co. did not enjoy the idea that another company was creating strings for their client. In an odd stroke of

That reason why Eddie went Musicman as you mentioned in that post is correct but there is more to it than that. Sterling Ball was good friends with Steve Lukather that is a big part of the reason Eddi

Yet to get my hands on a vintage EBMM and have been looking at the Axis until I can get a reasonable signature model deal. What drove Eddie's move to Peavey - was it just that they were making th

Posted Images

Why Buy and Ernie Ball Axis Guitar? 

Musicman Guitars (EVH) are great but I still would consider buying an Axis for the following reasons though. 

1. Cheaper

2.  Switches were repositioned to create continuity with the design

3.  Neck was widened slightly 1/32" to help with the string slippage

4. Belly contour added

• Like 1
  • Administrators

I have to agree the axis models are a fine revision to the original EVH models with only a few ammendments. As a whole I would recommend buying a musicman of any kind. True professional Guitar. 

• Like 1
On 1/7/2021 at 8:19 PM, EVH Group said:

Once the Ernie Ball strings were being manufactured, it soon became apparent that Kramer and co. did not enjoy the idea that another company was creating strings for their client. In an odd stroke of fate as Kramer were in rapid decline financially, Eddie Van Halen and Ernie Ball fell out with Kramer due to accounting misconduct by Kramer. Allegedly Kramer and Ernie Ball did not see eye to eye on financial accounting issues and shortly after Eddie found out, ceased the working relationship that Eddie Van Halen once had with Kramer.

In the interim, Eddie Van Halen had come up with a design for a new guitar, possibly foreseeing the future. The guitar itself was further refined when Eddie Van Halen began working more closely with Ernie Ball Music Man. As a result, he had designed his first guitar, an important step in his musical journey.

Courtesy of Chris Airey

That reason why Eddie went Musicman as you mentioned in that post is correct but there is more to it than that. Sterling Ball was good friends with Steve Lukather that is a big part of the reason Eddie went to Musicman although it is 100% true that Kramer were Bankrupt by 1989/1990. It also needs to be pointed out that Eddie wasn't so much into pushing products back then. Musicman were only making a handful of guitars per year as opposed to Fender and Gibson that mass produce stuff. Eddie was more than content for Musicman to build him a few guitars that he was happy with.

However, The whole reason why Eddie went with Kramer was because snapped the neck off the Frankenstrat back sometime in 1982. Eddie was hanging out with a few of the guys from Kramer and they told him they'd put another neck on the Frankenstrat for him. Also around this time, Kramer had struck up a deal with Floyd Rose to be the only company he would exclusively distribute the new Floyd Rose Locking System with Fine Tuners on it.

At that time they only way to get a Floyd Rose System for a guitar was for someone to buy it directly from Floyd Rose himself via Mail Order.

So Kramer was onto a GOOD THING,....For a while they were the only company that were producing guitars with the Floyd Rose and they had Eddie Van Halen endorsing them.

Also around 1981, there was a German Company called Rockinger that made a Locking Tremolo System with Fine Tuning that Eddie van Halen used on a few of his guitars including the "Rasta" guitar which Eddie eventually gifted to Dweezil Zappa. By then though it was in bits and Dweezil had it rebuilt.

For a while Eddie was considering endorsing the Rockinger Locking Tremolo System but for reasons not known Eddie didn't and carried on using the Floyd Rose instead.

• Like 4
On 2/12/2021 at 7:44 PM, Diamond Den said:

That reason why Eddie went Musicman as you mentioned in that post is correct but there is more to it than that. Sterling Ball was good friends with Steve Lukather that is a big part of the reason Eddie went to Musicman although it is 100% true that Kramer were Bankrupt by 1989/1990. It also needs to be pointed out that Eddie wasn't so much into pushing products back then. Musicman were only making a handful of guitars per year as opposed to Fender and Gibson that mass produce stuff. Eddie was more than content for Musicman to build him a few guitars that he was happy with.

However, The whole reason why Eddie went with Kramer was because snapped the neck off the Frankenstrat back sometime in 1982. Eddie was hanging out with a few of the guys from Kramer and they told him they'd put another neck on the Frankenstrat for him. Also around this time, Kramer had struck up a deal with Floyd Rose to be the only company he would exclusively distribute the new Floyd Rose Locking System with Fine Tuners on it.

At that time they only way to get a Floyd Rose System for a guitar was for someone to buy it directly from Floyd Rose himself via Mail Order.

So Kramer was onto a GOOD THING,....For a while they were the only company that were producing guitars with the Floyd Rose and they had Eddie Van Halen endorsing them.

Also around 1981, there was a German Company called Rockinger that made a Locking Tremolo System with Fine Tuning that Eddie van Halen used on a few of his guitars including the "Rasta" guitar which Eddie eventually gifted to Dweezil Zappa. By then though it was in bits and Dweezil had it rebuilt.

For a while Eddie was considering endorsing the Rockinger Locking Tremolo System but for reasons not known Eddie didn't and carried on using the Floyd Rose instead.

He carried on with Floyd as he knew how is bread was buttered. 

• Like 2

Steve Lukather 2020 Music Man

You must be an Eddie Van Halen Community Member

The latest evolution of Steve Lukather’s signature 

Join up and become an EVH forum member wmber
 guitar features an alder body with a figured roasted maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. The HH model is outfitted with newly designed custom Ernie Ball Music Man high-output humbucking pickups and the HSS model is equipped with the same, new bridge humbucker and also sports Ernie Ball Music Man’s renowned 
 single-coil pickups, providing players with amazing tonal versatility. Both pickup configurations are furnished with a 5-way switch and a 12dB boost push/push volume knob. The L3 comes standard with a super smooth floating Music Man vintage tremolo system.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Pale Horse said:

Steve Lukather 2020 Music Man

The latest evolution of Steve Lukather’s signature 

guitar features an alder body with a figured roasted maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. The HH model is outfitted with newly designed custom Ernie Ball Music Man high-output humbucking pickups and the HSS model is equipped with the same, new bridge humbucker and also sports Ernie Ball Music Man’s renowned 
 single-coil pickups, providing players with amazing tonal versatility.. 

Iv'e played this and sounded great through a marshall stack. 

• Like 1

Yet to get my hands on a vintage EBMM and have been looking at the Axis until I can get a reasonable signature model deal.

What drove Eddie's move to Peavey - was it just that they were making the 5150 amp and the EBMM deal ran out ?

Their Wolfgang quality control was high, a premium limited production instrument - I have two US made 'Patent Pending' guitars and love my Humans Being model - amazing neck. They were very selective for the neck blank and made to Eds specifics, beautiful birds eye maple and burned in branding of Ed's signature. 

• Like 4
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Takemebackto84 said:

Yet to get my hands on a vintage EBMM and have been looking at the Axis until I can get a reasonable signature model deal.

What drove Eddie's move to Peavey - was it just that they were making the 5150 amp and the EBMM deal ran out ?

Their Wolfgang quality control was high, a premium limited production instrument - I have two US made 'Patent Pending' guitars and love my Humans Being model - amazing neck. They were very selective for the neck blank and made to Eds specifics, beautiful birds eye maple and burned in branding of Ed's signature. 

Simple answer is this......Volume of Production. Musicman were making perhaps 1,500 EVH Musicman Guitars a year....Whereas Peavey could produce 1,000's of Guitars every month. Eddie got greedy.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of the Peavey models or new EVH products, all though the models you mentioned are really nice and high quality. The older EVHEBM models are probably the best models for the signature productions.

• Like 1

Nice Guitars

On 5/28/2021 at 1:34 PM, Takemebackto84 said:

Axis guitars are made with care and with top quality wood. I have 4....

• Like 1

For Axis the neck changed (slightly wider) ?

Have my eyes on an Axis and found a great deal on fb marketplace, but the 12th frets towards had been scalloped (why ????) - I tried to work out a deal and contacted Ernie Ball to discuss a replacement neck. The guitar had sold by then.

• Like 1

Found this re the move from EB to Peavey

EVH: The truth is, that I thought that since I designed the guitar, that I owned it. Like the Peavey, the Wolfgang, they make it for me, but I own it. I can go to any other company if I want to. I mean Peavey is a very family-oriented place, and God forbid we should ever butt heads, but if I should want to, I could leave, and take the guitar with me. Because I own it, it's patented, and they just make it for me. And I thought the same thing with Music Man, and well, I was sadly mistaken... And when I found that out, that Music Man also registered the trademark "5150" for string use... I mean come on, you know, the world pretty much knows the 5150 and the stripes is pretty much my thing. And they registered the trademark, so I just said, you know, fuck you guys. And the guitar was never really finished for me. The next guitar I wanted to build would have been the Wolfgang anyway. I wanted an archtop, and I wanted to experiment some more. I figured they were a small shop, but they couldn't keep up with the orders, you know, and even Peavey's having a tough time. They're so back-ordered it's ridiculous, and they haven't even done an ad for it.

• Like 1
On 6/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, Takemebackto84 said:

Found this re the move from EB to Peavey

EVH: The truth is, that I thought that since I designed the guitar, that I owned it. Like the Peavey, the Wolfgang, they make it for me, but I own it. I can go to any other company if I want to. I mean Peavey is a very family-oriented place, and God forbid we should ever butt heads, but if I should want to, I could leave, and take the guitar with me. Because I own it, it's patented, and they just make it for me. And I thought the same thing with Music Man, and well, I was sadly mistaken... And when I found that out, that Music Man also registered the trademark "5150" for string use... I mean come on, you know, the world pretty much knows the 5150 and the stripes is pretty much my thing. And they registered the trademark, so I just said, you know, fuck you guys. And the guitar was never really finished for me. The next guitar I wanted to build would have been the Wolfgang anyway. I wanted an archtop, and I wanted to experiment some more. I figured they were a small shop, but they couldn't keep up with the orders, you know, and even Peavey's having a tough time. They're so back-ordered it's ridiculous, and they haven't even done an ad for it.

Read something similar  however much later in an interview he mentioned that EBM couldn't produce enough in terms of manufacturing. I think this looks like a combinational issue between production and jumping on Eddie's thing with branding