Tony Iommi had words with Eddie Van Halen on the 1978 tour

I've got two really great friends in the music business – Brian May is one and Eddie Van Halen was the other. Ed was just fantastic, and his death is a terrible loss. I feel so sad for his wife Janie, brother Alex and his son Wolfgang. It’s such a loss for everybody, fans and musicians alike.  

You must be an Eddie Van Halen Community Member to view all content!

He was a fabulously caring human being. Whenever I was in L.A., I’d call him and we’d go out for dinner with our wives, and it was lovely. He was so easy going and we’d just sit and chat about anything. I met Eddie in ’78 when Van Halen toured with Sabbath. It was the band’s first world tour and we were on the road together for several months. We had such a great relationship. 

I used to see Eddie most nights after the show either in my room or his room or in the bar or whatever. We used to just chat all bloody night, and he’s been a really great friend to me ever since. We just talked a lot about music, guitars and the business, really, because Van Halen were fairly new into the business. And sometimes he’d bring his guitar around to my room and we’d play for a bit.

More here 

Join up and become an EVH forum member wmber

• Like 2
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got two really great friends in the music business – Brian May is one and Eddie Van Halen was the other. Ed was just fantastic, and his death is a terrible loss. I feel so sad for his wife Janie,

Posted Images

Tony was mashed most nights just like evh

You must be an Eddie Van Halen Community Member to view all content!
I really don't reckon much was said.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Our picks

• Mitch Malloy - The Van Halen Lost Boy
      Not to be missed 🎸

The legacy of Van Halen has never had a shortage of drama or die-hard fans...and rocker Mitch Malloy has a unique place within the still-unfolding drama. Following the ousting of Sammy Hagar from the band Malloy was tapped as the lead singer replacement, but subsequently declined this rock royalty position.

For years Mitch Malloy's story was touched on but never fully revealed, mostly by Malloy to avoid conflict with his current musical pursuits. After the publication of "Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga," which mentions Malloy, fans and media continually asked about his Van Halen experience. This is Mitch's story. Mitch Malloy: Van Halen's Lost Boy.
        • Sad
        • Haha
        • Thanks
      • 19 replies
    • There's No Business Like Show Business (Part 3)
      1979 rolled into 1980 and Van Halen released their third album, "Women and Children First". An album that was different in sound and feel to Van Halen and Van Halen II. It is another great album from Van Halen that also sold very well. The Band was to continue to grow in popularity. The songs "Everybody Wants Some" and "Romeo Delight" from Women and Children First are instant favourites with people attending Van Halen's concerts.

It was in either 1979 or 1980 that the now "Infamous" story about "There are to be no Brown M&M's in the Backstage Area" at concerts was written into their Tour Rider. The true story behind this is a great one!
      • 12 replies
    • 1985 - Dave Quits or is Fired? Enter Sammy Hagar.
      A lot's been written about this over the years. According to David Lee Roth, Eddie and Alex didn't want to tour. Both Eddie and Alex were drinking and taking way too much Party Substances for their own good. So David Lee Roth either left Van Halen in 1985 or he was fired.

The Van Halen Brothers had their version of what happened as did David Lee Roth.

"The Truth Is Out There...."

Something that was said was David Lee Roth was going to make a Movie. That indeed was something that was being worked on until the Film Company he signed up to work with went Bankrupt.

So Dave assembled a "NEW BAND" with Greg Bissonette on Drums, Billy Sheehan on Bass and Steve Vai on Guitar. It also should be noted that 99% of Van Halen's staff including the roadies and support personal went to work for Dave.

Eddie had a lot of music written and they needed to find a Singer. The Singer would be Sammy Hagar. Apparently, they had a mutual friend who looked after their Ferrari's and he gave Eddie Sammy's Phone Number.
        • Thanks
      • 18 replies
    • Eddie Van Halen's Gear - The Early Years
      Lots has been written about the various Guitars, Amps and effects Eddie used over the years mainly to do with his "LIVE" Setup. In this Article, That will be discussed and also some of the studio gear that was used to record the Van Halen Way before van Halen recorded Van Halen.....in fact when David Roth joined the Band and were first called Van Halen......Eddie was
      believe it of not playing a Gibson ES335!!! The Gibson ES335 was great sounding according to Eddie but the rest of the band said to him

"You ain't Roy Orbison". So then I believe Eddie played used a LesPaul for a while but didn't like the fact a lot of player were using them at the time.

I am guessing this is because Jimmy Page used one and many players

were all about copying Jimmy Page. So then Eddie started using a Fender Stratocaster. Now, Eddie really liked it the vibrato bar but the sound of it was very buzzy and thin when overdriven.

It was around this time I believe that Eddie thought to himself "What

if I put a pickup from a Gibson in my Stratocaster". There are photos

of Van Halen from 1975 - 1976 where Eddie is indeed playing a Fender Stratocaster style guitar with a Humbucking Pickup in the Bridge postion of the guitar.

I say "Fender Stratocaster Style Guitar" as I am not 110% certain the

guitars in the photos are Original Fender Stratocasters.

Ok!!! Here is where the funs begins...

• 16 replies
    • Fair Warning - Eddie's Finest?
      In 1981 we saw Van Halen release Fair Warning!!!! And Fair Warning we were certainly given!!!!

For myself and many die hard Van Halen Fans, this is their best album. It is the album that represents all of the finest elements of Van Halen at their fullest. It is somewhat darker in feel to their other albums yet is full of fun and joy at the same time.
        • Thanks
      • 15 replies

Important Information

Terms of Use,Privacy Policy